Mass: 70 tons

Chassis: Endo Steel

Power Plant: 350 GM XL Fusion

Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h

Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h

Jump Jets: None

Jump Capacity: 0 meters

Armor Type: Ferro-Fibrous Ferro-Fibrous

Armament:2 ER Large Lasers2 ER Medium Lasers1 Gauss RifleManufacturer:    Blackwell Heavy Industries   Location:    OutreachCommunications System:    Block 7 TRACONMTargeting & Tracking System: Series VI TTS

Overview:

(Alright, I know you have all seen a Marauder refit or thirty, and I know this isn't the only one called a Marauder III, either. I'm gunning for no less than the BEST Marauder refit here, so please call me on absolutely any problems you see.)

The Marauder has followed the Inner Sphere through much of its history, originally built during the last days of the Star League, the remnants being pressed into service en masse during the Succession Wars. The Clans brought a successor to the Marauder back to the Inner Sphere when they came to conquer Terra, and the Great Houses fought them back with no small number of Marauder updates. 3067 saw a surge in updated Marauder design and production, and when the Word of Blake gained access to plasma weapons, they rushed to field Marauders armed with them. Nearly every armed force in existance (and several that no longer exist) has fielded some variant of the ancient MAD-3R, and it is arguably the most-imitated 'mech in history to boot.

Thus, when the Wolf's Dragoons decided in 3069 to update the aging 'mech yet again, they know it was not -- could not be allowed to be -- a small undertaking. It had to take advantage of three centuries of technological advances and military experience, to trump every other Marauder on the battlefield as a direct-fire support 'mech and mid-range brawler. It had to be a 'mech that any Major would be proud to call his command 'mech. In short, the project required a testament to the skill and experience of the Dragoons as much as a practical 'mech.

Capabilities:

The Marauder III attempts to follow the original MAD-3R in achieving elegance through simplicity. Providing most of the long-range punch is the right-shoulder-mounted Gauss Rifle with twenty-four rounds of ammunition, insufficient for long independent campaigns but easily enough to tide it over until support arrives. Its arm pods each hold an ER Large Laser and an ER Medium Laser, slightly lighter than the arm weapons of most Marauders but tempered by the improvements brought to the table by Clan tech and by the Marauder III's targeting computer.

The Marauder III is slightly smaller and more nimble than most of its forebears, topping out at 86.4 kph rather than the more common 64.8. This speed advantage somewhat helps offset its small armor deficiency, wrapped as it is in ten and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous, which puts it slightly below the defense profile of most Marauders.

Notable 'Mechs & MechWarriors:

Notably, one 'mech has gone missing without a trace from the Wolf's Dragoons' inventory. Unreliable sources have claimed that the lost Marauder III has been spotted in various places with a bright green paint job.

Type/Model: Marauder III

Mass: 70 tons

Equipment:   Crits Mass

Internal Structure: 107 pts Endo Steel 7 3.50

(Endo Steel Loc: 1 HD, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LL, 1 RL)

Engine: 350 XL 10 15.00

Walking MP: 5    

Running MP: 8    

Jumping MP: 0    

Heat Sinks: 14 Double [28] 0 4.00

Gyro:   4 4.00

Cockpit, Life Support: 5 3.00

Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA, R: Sh+UA+LA 14 .00

Armor Factor: 202 pts Ferro-Fibrous 7 10.50

(Armor Crit Loc: 2 LA, 1 RA, 1 LT, 1 CT, 1 LL, 1 RL)

Internal Armor

Structure Value

Head: 3 9

Center Torso: 22 29

Center Torso (Rear):   10

L/R Side Torso: 15 21/21

L/R Side Torso (Rear):   7/7

L/R Arm: 11 21/21

L/R Leg: 15 28/28

Weapons & Equipment: Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass

1 ER Large Laser RA 12   1 4.00

1 ER Medium Laser RA 5   1 1.00

1 ER Large Laser LA 12   1 4.00

1 ER Medium Laser LA 5   1 1.00

1 Gauss Rifle RT 1 24 9 15.00

(Ammo Loc: 3 RT)

1 Targeting Computer LT     5 5.00

TOTALS:   35   65 70.00

Crits & Tons Left:       13 .00

Calculated Factors:

Total Cost: 16,590,866 C-Bills

Battle Value: 2,886

Cost per BV: 5,748.74

Weapon Value: 3,515 / 3,515 (Ratio = 1.22 / 1.22)

Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 39; MRDmg = 31; LRDmg = 22

BattleForce2: MP: 5,   Armor/Structure: 5/4

Damage PB/M/L: 5/5/3,   Overheat: 1

Class: MH,   Point Value: 29

Created with HeavyMetal Pro

User Reviews

10/21/2008  LostInSpace
Decent Clan Marauder, no doubt about it, following the MAD layout. But I don't like the Gauss rifle and ERLLs on it, doesn't seem right. Maybe a UAC-10 and a couble of ERPPCs? You'd have to remove the TC... Hrm...

10/20/2008  Ice Hellion
Strangely enough going from 70 to 75 tons does not change this 'Mech (but gives it a little less armour coverage).
A 'Mech that follows the traditional approach to a Marauder, i.e. lasers in the arms and a ballistic weapon in the torso.
When you add to this, the Targeting Computer, you have a nice combo.

However, I have a little something that makes me thing something could be done differently: maybe a Light Engine or a mixed tech Marauder (after all, those guys are Wolf's Dragoons).

Close